Grab a bookmark: Teen Mom: The Next Chapter is officially “on pause.”
The news about the MTV series, which is currently in its second season, was revealed this week by cast member Cory Wharton, who joined the Teen Mom franchise in 2018 with Cheyenne Floyd, the mother of his eldest daughter.
On Thursday, Cory took to social media to address the future of ‘Teen Mom: The Next Chapter,’ claiming that, while he didn’t want to say anything or even “put the bad energy out there,” the cast is “waiting to get green lit” for the next season.

“ … Which means, we’re waiting to let the higher ups figure out all what they gotta do and tell us, ‘Hey, we’re filming again,’” he explained in the video.
Cory went on to say that seeing fellow cast members Mackenzie McKee and Briana DeJesus on an episode of The Drew Barrymore Show this week made him question the future of ‘Teen mom’ even more.
As The Ashley previously told you, Mackenzie and Briana– two of the current cast members on ‘Teen Mom: The Next Chapter’– appeared on ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ Monday, during which Mackenzie announced that she and fiancé Khesanio Hall are expecting twins and Briana opened up about her upbringing and her relationship with mom Roxanne.
According to Cory, Mackenzie’s pregnancy “is a great story” that he’s sure the show would want to follow; however, Mackenzie revealing that she’s pregnant with twins is something he thought would’ve been announced on the upcoming season of ‘Teen Mom: The Next Chapter,’ not on a talk show.
“ … What a great way to start the season, [Mackenzie’s] pregnant,” Cory said. “I mean, they could just start [the season] with her already having the babies, ya know? See, I’m already thinking storylines and whatnot. That’s because I’ve been in this game too long.”

Cory went on to clarify in his video that “‘Teen Mom’ is not officially done,” before predicting that if MTV did decide that the show was “done on the network,” it could possibly move to the Paramount+ streaming service.
“I think we’re a far ways from that, but right now, we are on pause and we’ll see,” he said.
Should the show get greenlit for a third season, one of the original girls— Amber Portwood— has made it clear that she won’t be joining her longtime castmates. As The Ashley previously reported, Amber announced last month that she had quit the show, and was encouraging her co-star Catelynn Lowell to do the same. Amber has reiterated this statements several times since then during her frequent TikTok Live appearances.
For now, new episodes of ‘Teen Mom: The Next Chapter’ air Thursdays on MTV.